11. Pub relief
The relief scheme
In March 2017 the government announced that it will provide a business rates discount of up to £1,000 to Public Houses from 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018. This means that pubs with a ratable value below £100,000 could qualify for this relief.
You may qualify if you pay non-domestic rates on your Public House that:
• is open to the general public
• allows free entry other than when occasional entertainment is provided
• allows drinking without requiring food to be consumed
• allows drinks to be purchased at a bar, and
• has a ratable value below £100,000
Who doesn't qualify?
The relief excludes:
• snack bars
• boarding houses
• sporting venues
• music venues
• festival sites
• exhibition halls
• concert halls
You won't qualify if the award of relief would exceed State Aid limits. For more information about State Aid, please visit the GOV.UK site.
How to apply
If you haven’t already received an application Form, please download the application form and send it to:
Business Rates – Local Taxation,
Exeter City Council,
or scan and email to business