Salary:See vacancy description
Service Unit:Exeter Canal and Quay Trust Ltd.
The Exeter Canal and Quay Trust (ECQT) is seeking to appoint a freelance consultant to provide operational support for its Board of Trustees.
Established as an independent charity in 1981 ECQT has recently embarked on several new initiatives. These include the ACE-supported development of its flagship building, the Grade 1-listed Exeter Custom House, as a literature hub in the context of Exeter’s UNESCO City of Literature programme.
Later this year, ECQT will be adopting a new Vision for 2021-26. Next year it will be piloting new arts and heritage initiatives. These will be delivered in close collaboration with partners who currently include Exeter City Council (for the Custom House Visitor Centre) and Literature Works (for the Quay Words 2020-22 programme).
As ECQT’s activities expand we are looking to appoint a consultant for three principal areas of work:
- Providing operational support to ECQT trustees
- Managing, coordinating and promoting ECQT’s programmes and activities
- Liaising with kindred organisations and existing/potential partners, and representing ECQT in external affairs.
The successful person, who will report directly to the Board of Trustees, will be able to demonstrate a range of attributes including:
- Experience of providing operational support, preferably at a Board level.
- Experience of event/project management and coordination
- Experience of representing an organisation in external affairs
- A collaborative approach to liaising with partners to broaden public engagement and understanding of Exeter’s culture and heritage.
- A commitment to promoting the ambitions set out in the Exeter Cultural Strategy (2019) and the Liveable Exeter Vision (2019).
- Experience of communicating through social media and awareness of its potential for audience development
ECQT seeks to promote equality of opportunity in its work and we particularly welcome applications from people from black, Asian and minority ethnic communities.
If you have a disability and require any reasonable adjustments to be made to the recruitment process please contact us.
For further information or if you would like to arrange an informal phone discussion about this role, please contact Howard Bassett before 20 August at email@example.com
Type of Appointment
The successful person will be appointed as an independent consultant working on a freelance basis not as an ECQT employee. The appointment will be for up to the equivalent of 50 working days spread over the period from October 2020 to March 2021.
This appointment is offered on a flexible working basis with the allocation of work days to be agreed with ECQT. A work space can be provided at Exeter Custom House on Exeter Quay. There is good potential for remote working but regular attendance at meetings and events in Exeter will be required. The consultant will be required to provide their own working equipment (eg laptop, mobile phone).
The appointment will be remunerated on the basis of a ‘per day’ rate. ECQT has identified a guide rate in the range of £200-£250 per day.
How to apply (closing date: 12 noon on 3 September 2020)
If you would like to apply for this role, please send the following information (by email only) to Howard Bassett at firstname.lastname@example.org
- an Expression of Interest (two A4 pages maximum) demonstrating your suitability for this role
- a CV setting out your relevant skills and experience
- a covering letter indicating (i) your consultant rate on a per day basis (inclusive of costs such as VAT), (ii) your flexibility as to the allocation of working days over the period October 2020 – March 2021, and (iii) the names of two referees.
Your application must be received by ECQT by 12 noon on 3 September 2020. We will contact you shortly after the deadline if you have been selected for interview. Interviews are expected to take place in the week commencing 21st September.
Thank you for considering this opportunity.