Salary:See vacancy description
Service Unit:Exeter Port Authority
Wage: National Minimum Wage
6 month placement: 25 hours per week
Company: Exeter City Council
Please note, jobs from the Kickstart Scheme are only open to 16-24 year olds who are claiming Universal Credit.
Job Placement Summary:
We have two placements available to join the team as a Harbour Operative.
The Harbour Operative will be part of the team covering the estuary and the Exeter Ship Canal. As part of the team, the young person will learn about working in a marine environment and in particular will learn how to work in a team of professional maritime operatives, working all over the river Exe and its environs.
In particular, the job will include:
- Communicating with the general public. Handing out information and guidance to visitors and mooring holders and handle relevant enquiries.
- Collecting harbour dues and assisting with the patrolling of the river.
- Maintaining the navigation aids in the Exe, working with the team carrying out essential maintenance and cleaning the aids.
- Helping with the maintenance of the harbour patrol craft, cleaning and carrying out basic engine checks.
- Assisting with the maintenance of moorings in the Exe, Painting, working with hand tools and lubricants.
- Assisting with the operation of canal lock gates.
Some of the skills that the operatives will learn include:
- Dealing with the public
- Maintenance including painting and cleaning
- Boat handling
- Splicing ropes
- Written and verbal communication
The harbour operatives will be given the opportunity to obtain a power boating qualification (RYA level2) and will be mentored by the senior harbour patroller.
The candidates will also be trained how to carry out basic maintenance checks of engines, painting and cleaning duties.
The candidates will also learn about coastal pollution and how to deal with small oil spills.
The candidates will learn about navigation in the river Exe, how to pass on information about the navigation aids to customers
The candidates will learn about customer service, how to deal with customers and pass on information.
The candidates will have the opportunity to practice interview techniques, interpret briefings and will have the scope to work using own initiative
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Willingness to learn new skills and be able to communicate effectively
- Candidates should be numerate and have sound common sense
- Full UK driving license is preferred, however not essential
Who is eligible for the Kickstart scheme?
The Kickstart scheme is specifically designed for those aged between 16 and 24, who are currently claiming Universal Credit, and may be at risk of long-term unemployment.
It’s being run by the Department for Work and Pensions, so your local Jobcentre will be able to run you through the specific criteria, and help you find out whether or not you’re eligible.
If you have any questions regarding this placement opportunity, please contact Skills@exeter.gov.uk.