Salary:See vacancy description
Service Unit:Car Parking
Wage: National Minimum Wage
6 month placement: 25 hours per week
Shift Pattern: 5 days on, 3 days off (repeated)
Company: Exeter City Council
Please note, jobs from the Kickstart Scheme are only open to 16-24 year olds who are claiming Universal Credit.
Job Placement Summary:
- To assist the public as the first point of contact on operational parking enquiries and enforcement matters, acting as an ambassador for both the council and the city. Communicating face to face, by telephone, e-mail and via help-point intercom enquiries.
- To undertake routine preventative maintenance and emergency first line repairs to parking equipment where necessary.
- To routinely inspect, record and report any site defects or health & safety issues to minimise risk to public and staff. Taking mitigating action where appropriate (e.g. gritting icy steps).
- To enhance community safety by observing and reporting on security issues and anti-social behaviour such as rough sleepers, beggars and abandoned vehicles. Taking initial action to safeguard car park customers whilst on site.
- To ensure parking controls are observed and enforced to the standards required by the Traffic Management Act 2004.To assist the public as the first point of contact on routine parking enquiries and enforcement matters, acting as an ambassador for both the council and the city.
- To undertake work in a safe and effective manner at all times, following City Council policies and procedures, and to be responsible for your safety and that of the public.
- To undertake the collection, recording and reporting of miscellaneous data about the service and its users.
- To provide cover for Car Park Cash Collection Officers as and when required to cover periods of leave, sickness and other absence.
- To undertake any such duties as required across the Environment and City Management range of services commensurate with the grading of the post.
The POA will be paired up with an experienced member of staff to gain knowledge and experience.
They will report directly to the Parking Operations Supervisor. (Senior Civil Enforcement Officer)
They will follow an Initial Training Schedule covering all aspects of the role.
The Parking Operation Assistant will have regular meetings with the Parking and Enforcement Operations Manager. This will ensure learning is being achieved in the role and this will provide an opportunity for feedback throughout.
- Good general standard of education to GCSE level in two suitable subjects (Maths and English preferred).
- Experience of working in a customer service and assistance environment.
- Experience of working with mobile communications.
- Physically fit and able to undertake foot patrols, negotiate stairs and carry equipment.
Who is eligible for the Kickstart scheme?
The Kickstart scheme is specifically designed for those aged between 16 and 24, who are currently claiming Universal Credit, and may be at risk of long-term unemployment.
It’s being run by the Department for Work and Pensions, so your local Jobcentre will be able to run you through the specific criteria, and help you find out whether or not you’re eligible.
If you have any questions regarding this placement opportunity, please contact Skills@exeter.gov.uk.