4. Buy an empty home
The housing enabling team cannot give out a list of empty properties around the city which have private owners, however, there are various places you can go if you are looking to buy an empty property:
- speak to estate agents around the city. Many have properties on their books that they have not been able to sell and do not widely advertise because they are renovation projects
- Land Registry - most homes (although not all) are registered with the Land Registry. For a small fee, you can search this database and download details of home owners when investigating a specific empty property
- Empty Homes Agency (EHA) - an independent campaigning charity which gives advice on how to bring empty homes back into use
- Renovate Alerts - specifically designed for people looking to buy property in need of work, renovation or modernisation
- SAVE (Historic Empty Property Charity) - a national charity which campaigns to bring empty historical homes back into use. The charity often advertises properties in need of a new owner and publishes a list of historical properties at risk around the country.
- Plot Finder - advertises land for sale across the country