Disabled facilities grants

We provide disabled facilities grants to adapt homes for people who are or could be, registered disabled and who, without the adaptation, would be unable to live safely and conveniently in their home.

You can apply for a disabled facilities grant if you own your home, rent from a private landlord or housing association or live with family.

Before you complete an application form for a disabled facilities grant you must contact Care Direct at Devon County Council on 0345 1551 007 to arrange for an occupational therapist to visit.

The occupational therapist will assess your needs for an adaptation and if a disabled facilities grant is recommended they will send us a referral. Disabled facilities grants are means tested with the exception of cases where the works are for the benefit of a child (up to 16 years old) or a young person who is under 19 years and is in full time education (youth training or special types of education are excluded from this definition).

Typical disabled facilities grant works include:

  • installing stair lifts
  • replacing a bath with a level access shower
  • widening doorways
  • providing ramps

Grants are approved on the cost of the eligible works up to a maximum of £30,000. 

Find out more information about these grants.

Minor adaptations

If you believe a minor adaptation to your home or specialist equipment could support you to remain independent, please contact Devon County Council by ringing Care Direct on 0345 1551 007.

When this content has been updated

Last updated 19 July 2018