What if I can't pay my rent?

If you are having a problem paying your rent for whatever reason, contact your income management officer as soon as possible. Our staff will be able to help you sort out your rent problem and give you advice on whom to contact for further debt advice if you need it.

By acting quickly, you are showing a commitment to paying your rent and the legal action the housing department has to take to collect arrears may not be needed. 

For further information please see our Rent Arrears Recovery Policy.

Former tenant arrears

If you used to live in a council house in Exeter and you still have outstanding rent arrears on the property, you are required to make payments to clear this debt. You will not be housed by us, or possibly any other social landlord, until these arrears are cleared. We will make every effort to trace former tenants.

Failure to make an arrangement, or to clear the arrears, will result in us taking legal action. This can be in the form of:

County Court Judgement (CCJ)

County Court Judgements are orders made by the court setting down the amounts a former tenant needs to pay. If you have a CCJ it affects your credit rating and may make it difficult to obtain loans, credit cards and mobile phones.

Attachment of earnings

Attachment of earnings gives the Court the power to contact your employer and agree an amount to be deducted from your wages.

If you do not want us to take further action against you , it is important that you contact us to discuss your circumstances and to make an arrangement to clear your debt with us.

When this content has been updated

Last updated 18 January 2016