2. Apply for a personal licence
You must be 18 years old or over in order to apply for a personal licence.
The following must be submitted in your application:
- Completed application form.
- 2 passport size photographs, one of which must be endorsed on the reverse with a statement verifying the likeness of the photograph to you by a solicitor, notary, a person of standing within the community or any individual with a professional qualification. This person must not be a relative.
- A criminal conviction certificate. The certificate must be less than 1 month old at the time of application.
- Completed 'Disclosure of Convictions and Declaration' form.
- Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holder (NCPLH).
- The current fee of £37.00.
Please post your completed application to Licensing, Exeter City Council, Civic Centre, Paris Street, Exeter, EX1 1RQ or call us to make an appointment on 01392 265702.
You'll be charged a fee of £37.00 for this application. Please make sure you view our fees and charges for further information.
- personal licence application form
- disclosure of convictions and declaration
- guidance notes for a personal licence
When we receive your application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone you if there is anything else we need.
As soon as we have the complete application and all the information we need, we'll accept it.
We are then required to tell the police about any relevant unspent convictions.
If there are no unspent convictions or if the police don't object the licence will be issued and we'll send you your personal alcohol licence and badge in the post.
If the police object to the application due to an unspent conviction you'll be entitled to a hearing. This will be heard before members of the licensing sub committee unless all parties agree this isn't necessary. At the hearing both parties can put forward their arguments for consideration.
After the hearing we'll write to you with the decision and the reasons for it.