Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner


See the latest information and advice in Exeter. We are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS, who are well prepared to deal with this virus.

See our privacy notices for details on how we manage personal information

Premises licences

Show all parts of this guide

2. Apply for a new premises licence

You will need to apply for a new premises licence if you want to sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment or late night refreshment (the supply of hot food or hot drink to the public between 23.00 and 05.00) in England and Wales. 

Applicants must not be under 18 years old. 

Regulated entertainment is defined under the Licensing Act 2003 as follows:

  • a performance of a play
  • an exhibition of a film
  • an indoor sporting event
  • a boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • a performance of live music
  • any playing of recorded music
  • a performance of dance
  • entertainment of a similar description to a performance of live music, any playing of recorded music or a performance of dance

The above is only considered to be regulated entertainment if it takes place in the presence of an audience and is provided for the purpose of entertaining that audience.


You'll be charged a fee for this application and an annual charge.

Premises Licence Fees are determined by the non domestic rateable value of the premises.

If you don't know your non domestic rateable value of the premises please see Valuation Office Agency website

BandInitial application feeAnnual fee
A (No RV to £4300) £100 £70.00
B (£4301 to £33000) £190 £180.00
C (£33001 to £87000) £315 £295.00
D (£87001 to £125000) £450.00 £320.00
E (£125001 and above) £635.00 £350.00

 * An additional fee is payable for premises exclusively or primarily carrying on the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises for events of 5,000 or more persons. Please telephone us on 01392 265702 for more details.

Other services available online

Related documents

Start the journey


More info about the journey

You'll need a credit or debit card.

You'll need a plan of the premises.

The DPS will need to complete the online consent form.

You'll need to put up public notices at the premises and advertise a copy of the notice in a local newspaper.

When we receive your application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone you if there is anything else we need.

As soon as we have the complete application and all the information we need, we'll accept it and there will then be 28 days (from the day after we accept the application) when anyone can make a representation.

If no representations are received your application will be granted and we'll send you your licence in the post.

If representations are received then a hearing must be heard before members of the licensing sub-committee unless all parties agree this isn't necessary.

After the hearing we'll write to you with the decision.

You can fill in a paper version of the form and send it to us in the post or bring it into our office.

You will need to fill in the application form and send this to us with:

  • consent form signed by the nominated DPS
  • a cheque for the fee
  • a plan of the premises

If you are completing a paper version a full copy must also be sent to each of the other responsible authorities.  If you apply online then this will be done for you.