See our privacy notices for details on how we manage personal information

Premises licences

Show all parts of this guide

7. Apply to vary a designated premises supervisor (DPS)

All alcohol licensed premises must have a designated premises supervisor (DPS) who is responsible for the sale of alcohol at the premises. A DPS must be a personal licence holder. If you wish to appoint a DPS or vary the DPS at your premises please use the online form below.

You will also need to make an appointment with a licensing officer on 01392 265702.


You'll be charged a fee of £23.00 for this application. Please make sure you view our fees and charges for further information.

Start the journey


More info about the journey

You'll need a credit or debit card. 

You'll need the nominated DPS to give their consent.

You'll need to send us your existing premises licence in the post.

You'll need to notify the existing DPS of your application.

When we receive your application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone you if there is anything else we need.

When we have all of the information we need we will accept your application and the nominated person will be able to start acting as DPS.  There will then be 14 days (from the day after we accept the application) when the police can make a representation.  

If no representation is received your application will be granted and we'll send you your licence in the post.  

If the police do make a representation then a hearing must be heard before members of the licensing sub committee unless all parties agree this isn't necessary.

After the hearing we'll write to you with the decision.  

You can fill in a paper version of the form and send it to us in the post or bring it into our office.

You will need to fill in the application form and send this to us with:

  • a cheque for the fee
  • consent form that has been signed by the nominated DPS
  • the existing premises licence

You'll need to notify the existing DPS of your application.

If you are completing a paper version a full copy of the application must also be sent to:

Devon & Cornwall Constabulary
Licensing Department (East)
Devon & Cornwall Police HQ