Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner


See the latest information and advice in Exeter. We are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS, who are well prepared to deal with this virus.

See our privacy notices for details on how we manage personal information

Premises licences

Show all parts of this guide

3. Apply to vary a premises licence

The application to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as designated premises supervisor under the Licensing Act 2003 asks the licensee to give a copy of the form to the existing premises supervisor. The completed form contains personal information about the proposed new DPS and sharing this information would be in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998. It is sufficient for the licensee to inform the DPS that the application has been made, without the need to share the specific details of the application. A full copy of the application form must still be sent to police. The form will be amended via regulations as soon as possible to make this clear.

If you want to make changes to your premises licence then it's likely that you'll need to apply for a variation.  There are two types of variation application, a full variation or a minor variation.  

The type of application you need to apply for will depend on the change you want to make and if it is likely to impact on the licensing objectives. These are:  

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

If the changes could impact on the licensing objectives then you must apply for a full variation.  For example, if you want to:

  • extend the opening hours of the premises
  • make major changes to the premises or change the layout of the bar area
  • add the sale by retail of alcohol
  • authorise the sale of alcohol between 11pm and 7am or
  • increase the number of hours that alcohol may be sold on any day 

If the changes are small and do not impact the licensing objectives then you can apply for a minor variation.


You'll be charged a fee for this application. Please make sure you view our fees and charges to see how much this will cost.

Other services available online

Start the journey


More info about the journey

You'll need a credit or debit card.

You'll need a plan of the premises if you are changing the layout.

You'll need to send us your existing premises licence in the post.

You'll need to put up public notices at the premises and advertise a copy of the notice in a local newspaper.

When we receive your application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly.  We'll telephone you if there is anything else we need.

As soon as we have the complete application and all the information we need, we'll accept it and there will then be 28 days (from the day after we accept the application) when anyone can make a representation.

If no representations are received your application will be granted and we'll send you your licence in the post.

If representations are received then a hearing must be heard before members of the licensing sub-committee unless all parties agree this isn't necessary.

After the hearing we'll write to you with the decision.

You can fill in a paper version of the form and send it to us in the post or bring it into our office.

You will need to fill in the application form and send this to us with:

  • a cheque for the fee
  • a plan of the premises if you are changing the layout
  • the existing premises licence 

If you are completing a paper version a full copy must also be sent to each of the other responsible authorities. If you apply online then we will do this for you.