Gambling premises licences

Show all parts of this guide

1. Gambling premises licences overview

You’ll need a premises licence if you want to run any of the following types of premises:

  • bingo hall
  • betting shop
  • betting (track) – these are sporting venues not just race tracks
  • amusement arcade (for adults only, or where adult machines are provided)

Types of premises licence

There are four types of premises licences:

  • bingo premises licence
  • betting premises licence, including tracks and premises used by betting intermediaries
  • adult gaming centres (for category B3, C and D gaming machines)
  • family entertainment centres (for category C and D gaming machines)

If you want to run an unlicensed family entertainment centre you can apply for a permit instead.  Unlicensed family entertainment centres can only have category D gaming machines.