See our privacy notices for details on how we manage personal information

Gambling premises licences

Show all parts of this guide

2. Apply for a gambling premises licence

If you want to run a bingo hall, betting shop, adult gaming centre or family entertainment centre, you will need to apply for a premises licence. 

You'll need to complete an application form and send this to us or deliver your application to our offices

When you fill in the application form you'll need to give:

  • your details
  • details of the premises and what type of premises licence you are applying for
  • times of operation
  • a copy of the application and plans must be served on the Responsible Authorities on the same day the application is made to the Licensing Authority.

You will also need to put up public notices at the premises and advertise a copy of the notice in a local newspaper.


You'll be charged a fee for this application. 

  • new adult gaming centre new premises licence: £2000.00
  • new betting premises licence: £3000.00
  • new bingo premises licence: £3215.00
  • new family entertainment centre premises licence: £1768.00

Related documents

What's next

When we receive your application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone you if there is anything else we need.

As soon as we have the complete application and all the information we need, we'll accept it and there will then be 28 days (from the day after we accept the application) when anyone can make a representation.  

If no representations are received your application will be granted and we'll send you your licence in the post.  

If representations are received then a hearing must be heard before members of the licensing sub-committee unless all parties agree this isn't necessary.

After the hearing we'll write to you with the decision.