2. Apply for a small societies lottery
If your non-commercial society wants to run a small society lottery you'll need to register this with us.
You'll need to fill in an application form and send this to us.
You'll need to know:
- the details of the society applying and whether they are a registered charity
- if the society has held an operating licence or had an operating licence refused or revoked
- contact details for correspondence
What you'll need to do after the lottery
You'll need to fill in and send to us a lottery return form after every draw has taken place giving an account of the monies raised. You'll need to give this to us no later than three months after every draw.
This statement must be signed by two members of the society who are appointed for the purpose in writing by the society, or if it has one, its governing body. These persons must be an adult.
You'll need to send us a copy of the written appointment with this statement.
You'll be charged a fee of £40.00 for this application with an annual fee of £20.00. Please make sure you view our fees and charges for further information.
When we receive your application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone you if there is anything else we need.
If your registration is granted you will receive this in the post.
We will only refuse an application for any of the following reasons:
- in the previous five years either an operating licence held by the applicant for registration has been revoked or an application for an operating licence by the applicant has been refused
- the applicant is not a non-commercial society;
- a person who will or may be connected with the promotion of the lottery has been convicted of a relevant offence; or
- information provided in or with the application for registration is false or misleading
If we feel that the registration should be refused then a hearing must be heard before members of the licensing sub-committee unless all parties agree this isn't necessary. The society will have a chance to speak at the hearing.
After the hearing we'll write to you with the decision.