Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner


See the latest information and advice in Exeter. We are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS, who are well prepared to deal with this virus.

Pavement cafe licence

If you wish to place tables and chairs on the pavement, you will need to obtain a Highway Licence (usually known as a Pavement Café Licence) from us.

You may also need to obtain planning consent for change of use from public highway to pavement café. 

What does it cost? 

  • A standard pavement café licence is granted for six years and the current licence fee is £600 per year, which is reviewable after three years
  • We will also require a contribution towards the Legal costs in drafting the licence

As part of the application a 28 day public consultation is required, so we encourage you to apply for your licence with plenty of time in advance of you needing it.

It also take time to prepare the legal paperwork and to secure any other necessary consents.

Apply for a pavement café licence

For further information, and to apply for a pavement café licence please contact Corporate Property – Estates Services by e-mail at

When this content has been updated

Last updated 12 February 2020