Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Duty of care waste transfer notice

Show all parts of this guide

1. Duty of care explained

Commercial and charitable organisations have a legal requirement to make formal arrangements for the collection and disposal of their waste. 

They are prohibited from using:

  • domestic collections
  • public recycling banks
  • household waste recycling centres

Duty of care is normally discharged by having a contract with a registered waste contractor, such as the council.

The Environment Agency provides more advice about your obligations.

Our trade waste advisors can help you discharge your duty of care obligations by helping you apply for the correct waste transfer note. 

We have two types of waste transfer notes.

The Refuse Waste Transfer Note covers:

  • rubbish,
  • recycling materials
  • bulky items
  • limited amounts of some types of hazardous waste

The Clinical Waste Transfer Note cover sharps and low grade waste

For help with your duty of care waste transfer notice call 01392 277888 and ask for Commercial Waste


When this content has been updated

Last updated 22 September 2021