5. Level 3 award in supervision for food safety and hygiene (catering or retail)
This course is designed principally for those who are supervisors of food handlers within the catering and hospitality industry.
Candidates will gain a broad knowledge of food safety & hygiene, enabling them to identify problem areas and recommend solutions.
Duration: 3 day course with examination on day 4
Schedule: 9:30am to 5:00pm (lunch is not provided)
Exam: Multiple choice, 2 hours
Venue: Civic Centre
Topics covered include:
- applying and monitoring good hygiene practice
- temperature control
- workplace and equipment design
- waste disposal, cleaning and disinfection
- pest control
- personal hygiene of staff
- contribution to staff training
- implementation of food safety management procedures
- food safety management tools
The syllabus covers all facets of food production, processing, storage, transport, wholesaling, catering and retailing. Successful completion of the course will enable candidates to:
- play an active part in monitoring food hygiene standards
- be involved in training activities, especially on the job training
- be equipped to effectively supervise food handlers on hygiene issues
- be able to carry out hygiene audits
- to encourage good standards of personal hygiene
- be able to assist in hazard analysis hygiene
- to help in the formulation and writing of hygiene policies, instructions etc
A short multiple-choice test concludes the course. Successful candidates receive the level 3 award in supervising food safety in catering certificate, awarded by the Royal Society for Public Health.
An oral option is available for those who require this. Please state at the time of booking whether an oral examination is required. In the event that we are unable to provide this on the course day, you may be asked to return for the examination at a later date.
All candidates must bring photographic proof of identification on the day of the course to meet the examination board's requirements. Candidates that do not bring photographic identification will not be able to take the course.
2020 course dates
For this course you will need to attend on the following days:
- Day 1 - Thursday 6 February
- Day 2 – Thursday 13 February
- Day 3 – Thursday 20 February
- Day 4 – EXAM Thursday 27 February 10am
Please note: all our courses are delivered in English unless stated otherwise. All delegates must have a good understanding of written and spoken English to attend this course.
Making a booking
Please use our online enquiry form to book a place on the Level 3 award in supervising food safety in catering.
Please refer to our environmental health course terms and conditions before proceeding with your booking.