Heavitree Paddling Pools & Play Area Refurbishment Project 2021 – 2023
The paddling pools and play facilities in Heavitree Pleasure Ground are set to get an exciting new make-over! The popular pools are nearing the end of their life and Exeter City Council is planning to carry out a full refurbishment of the pools and play area to provide new, modern facilities.
The plan is to keep the pools open throughout this year and next summer and start construction in the autumn of 2022, minimising disruption. All going well, the new water play facilities and play areas will be ready to reopen in May 2023.
Broadly speaking, the plans are to:
- Fully refurbish Heavitree Pleasure Ground’s water play facilities, with options to rebuild the paddling pools, replace with a splashpad similar to the one in St Thomas, or a combination of both;
- Expand the current fenced area to create more water-play space, plus a better/larger space for families using the site outside the water;
- Create areas to shelter from the sun;
- Investigate the implementation of sustainable power and water sources with a view to reducing costs and carbon footprint;
- Refurbish Heavitree Play Area, which is in need of improvement and is inadequate to deal with current demand;
- Review equipment, including the provision of more accessible facilities and access routes for wheelchairs and pushchairs, and
- Improve accessibility for all and encourage active travel, providing parking for cycles and improving and widening pathways.
This is only a broad outline of our ambitions for the site and it’s really important that we engage with local residents and users to get your thoughts and wishes for the park going forward.
Please note: Stage 1 of the consultation is now closed. Stage 2 of the consultation will go live at the end of June 2022 – keep an eye out on our social media pages for more information.