Salary:See vacancy description
Salary: £24,982 - £27,041 plus market supplement
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: 37 Hours
Exeter is a thriving and vibrant city based within the fabulous county of Devon. This is a great place to live and work with easy access to beautiful open green spaces within the city and, of course, the beautiful moors and beaches of rural Devon.
At Exeter City Council, we pride ourselves on being more than your average city council. We share with key partners an ambitious vision for the future of the city: “By the time they are an adult, a child born in Exeter today will live in a city that is inclusive, healthy and sustainable – a city where the opportunities and benefits of prosperity are shared and all citizens are able to participate fully in the city’s economic, social, cultural and civic life.” (Exeter City Vision 2040).
To deliver this Vision, the City Council is proactively developing plans for its Liveable Exeter programme, a transformational programme to deliver up to 12,000 new homes for the city in sustainable and inclusive urban communities.
Exeter City Council is a great place to work, and the overwhelming majority of staff tell us that they really care about working for the Council and that it is a happy place to work. We have an agile and flexible working policy right across the Council to provide our staff with a positive work-life balance. We positively encourage working from home, particularly at present and operate a modern shared office environment within the Civic Centre in Exeter. In 2021/22, we are embarking on a major staff-led digitalisation programme to provide modern and accessible services to all our customers.
Join our team in providing a customer-focussed Development Management service for Exeter – we have a rare opening for a permanent full-time Planning Officer.
Our Development Management service
- Our service is designed to be responsive to customers.
- We spend a lot of time with our customers, striving to understand what matters to them and providing high-quality free advice at the earliest opportunity.
- We pull Building Control and other Council expertise to ensure that our advice is comprehensive and our approvals are deliverable.
- We are striving to create a working environment that provides continuous mutual support and learning opportunities. We talk to each other a lot.
- Delivery of a range of developments from initial enquiry to completion.
- Householder proposals, small residential and business schemes, use changes, advertisements, work to trees and more.
- Initial planning investigation work, appeals, certificate of lawfulness applications and permitted development enquiries.
- A ‘can-do’ attitude is the quality we most value.
- We are looking for graduates of Planning or somebody keen to extend their skills by working in a delivery focused team.
- Previous Development Management experience and up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation are desirable.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills are essential.
- A clean driving licence. Most of the city is reachable by foot, bicycle, bus or train, but you will have the opportunity to drive the Council’s pool cars to undertake site visits.
To find out more about this post or how we do things in Exeter, please contact Roger Clotworthy – email@example.com or 01392 265285
Exeter City Council is an equal opportunities employer and encourages employees to work flexibly in a way that not only meets their work responsibilities, but also suits individual lifestyle choices and home commitments.