Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Council Tax (Energy) Rebate – FAQs

Q. How can I check my council tax band?

It is shown on your Council Tax bill, or you can go to the Gov.UK website to check.


Q. I can’t find my council tax account number, what do I do?

It is shown on your Council Tax Bill. If you have lost your bill we can send you a replacement. Email your request to


Q. Do I qualify?

The Government expects billing authorities to provide a one-off £150 payment to a liable council tax payer (or an occupier where the property is exempt) where they occupy a property which meets all of the following criteria on 1 April 2022:

  1. It is valued in council tax bands A to D. This includes property that is valued in band E but has an alternative valuation band of band D, as a result of the disabled band reduction scheme;
  2. It is someone’s sole or main residence;
  3. It is a chargeable dwelling, or in exemption classes N, S, U or W

Eligibility is determined based on the position at the end of the day on 1 April 2022.

If you have received an invite letter from us containing an access code then you qualify. 


Q. What do I do if I am eligible for the payment, but I don't want to receive it?

If you do not wish to receive the £150 payment let us know by emailing If you have already received the payment and wish to pay it back, let us know and we will issue you with an invoice so you can repay it.  

You should be aware that the Council cannot use the declined monies for any other purpose, such as providing more funding for those in need. Declined funds will be returned to Central Government.

If you want the money to be used to support others, do not decline the rebate. Instead, once you receive it, you can donate it to any cause or person you choose.


Q. What do I do if I am not able to complete the form online?

The quickest way for you to get your money is to complete the form online or ask a friend/family member to assist you. If you are not able to complete the form online yourself and have no one who can assist you, please give us a call on 01392 265000. Due to the exceptionally high volume of calls we’re receiving we are now operating a call back service to try and reduce wait times. If you phone for assistance we will take your details and arrange for an officer to call you back to complete an application on your behalf.

If you cannot apply online or call us please write to us for assistance at:

Council Tax (Energy) Rebate, Exeter City Council, Civic Centre, Paris Street, Exeter, EX1 1JN


Q. Why has my application been rejected?

There are a number of reasons why applications are failing including:

  • Incorrect access code input
  • Incorrect bank details input
  • Incorrect council tax account reference input
  • The person applying is not the person shown as liable on the council tax account
  • Name of the bank account doesn’t match the name on the council tax account
  • Married name on the council tax account but maiden name on the bank account


Q. Why are you asking me for bank statements?

There are anti-fraud checks built into the application process. Over 70% of the applications we have received pass these checks and receive an automated payment. If an application fails these checks then we ask to see bank statements so that we can verify that the bank details given match the liable person for council tax. Please be assured that we are only looking at the account name, sort code and account number on your statements.

If you would prefer not to supply bank statements, you can choose to have the rebate paid to your council tax account instead.


Q. I have arrears on my Council Tax, will I still receive the payment?

As long as you meet the eligibility criteria (see 'do I qualify?'), you will receive the £150 payment. We will write to you inviting you to apply through our online claim form.


Q. I'm in a new build property and still waiting to be banded, when will I receive the rebate?

Unfortunately until we are notified by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) of your official band we are unable to process any requests. Once we are notified of the band and if you qualify we will send you a letter with instructions on how to claim. 


Q. If I receive a Council Tax Rebate payment but left the property before 1 April 2022 - what do I do?

If you receive a payment that you were not eligible for then you will need to repay the payment.  Where a person pays by Direct Debit, the Council will have made some assumptions to make payments quicker to households.  If you receive a payment that you were not eligible for then you must tell us and you will need to repay it.

You may still be entitled to a payment for the property that you have moved to.

If you apply for the Council Tax Rebate payment and knowingly gave false information on that application, you will have to repay the payment and may be prosecuted under the Fraud Act 2006.


Q. What happens if my Council Tax bill shows I don't have to pay anything because of my personal circumstances, will I still receive the £150?

This could be because you receive Council Tax Reduction (CTR) also known as Council Tax Support (CTS). If you are the person named on the Council Tax bill, and occupy the property as your main home on 1 April 2022, you are still entitled to receive the £150 Energy Rebate, even if your Council Tax bill shows you have nothing to pay.

Please apply for the £150 Rebate using the Access Code given in your invite letter.


Q. Will the Council Tax Rebate or the Discretionary Fund Payment be repayable?

No. You don't have to repay either the Council Tax Rebate or Discretionary Fund payment. You would only have to pay it back if you were not eligible to receive it in the first place.


Q. Will the Council Tax Rebate or Discretionary Fund appear on my Council tax bill or be deducted from my council tax account?

When you apply you are given the option to either have your rebate paid into your bank account or deducted from your council tax account. If you don’t have any council tax to pay you should choose the option to have the rebate paid into your bank account.


Q. Can more than one member of my household claim the Council Tax Rebate or Discretionary Fund?

No. The one grant is being provided to support all residents of your household.


Q. Are the Council Tax Rebate or Discretionary Fund payment taxable?

No. If you receive either of these payments you do not need to inform HMRC or include them in your self-assessment tax returns.


Q. What else is on offer to support households with their energy bills?

On 26 May, the Chancellor announced a new £15 billion package of targeted government support to help with the rising cost of living.

When this content has been updated

Last updated 20 June 2022