Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Council Tax attachment of earnings orders

Show all parts of this guide

1. What is a CTAEO

If you don't pay your council tax we can apply to a Magistrates' Court for a liability order.

If the court grants a liability order, one of the options for recovering the outstanding amount is called a Council Tax Attachment of Earnings Order (CTAEO). This means we can start to recover the monies owed directly from your earnings.

You and your employer will receive a letter confirming the liability order details and the total debt to be repaid. The CTAEO itself will be sent to your employer who will begin making the deductions on a daily, weekly or monthly basis depending on how you're paid, until the debt is settled.

An extract of The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 is available to view online.