Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Energy advice

Show all parts of this guide

4. Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES)

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES) for let properties

Since 1 April 2020, landlords can no longer let a property with an EPC rating of F & G, unless they have a valid exemption in place.


The government has published guidance about exemptions for landlords of domestic properties.

This includes a 'High Cost Exemption' where the prohibition of letting a property below an EPC rating of E does not apply if the cost of the making of even the cheapest recommended improvement would exceed £3,500, including VAT.

Funding may be available from the council to assist with works to improve the energy efficiency of the property. For more information please visit our Private landlord pages.

Listed Buildings

The Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards also apply to listed buildings, but they do not remove the need to get listed building consent before starting any work.

Listed building consent is needed for internal, as well as external alterations. This includes replacement windows, doors, double glazing and solid wall insulation.

Contact Building Control for advice on whether listed building consent would be granted for the recommended works within an EPC. If listed building consent would not be granted, an exemption can be registered.

To register an exemption please visit the National PRS Exemptions Register

Penalties for non-compliance

As the local authority, we can issue fines of up to £5,000 for landlords who do not comply with the regulations. This includes failing to properly register an exemption.

Further Information

The government has published guidance about Domestic Private Rented Property minimum standards.