Help with your mortgage

Show all parts of this guide

2. Help with your mortgage interest

If you are claiming certain benefits, you may be able to get help with your mortgage interest and interest on loans you may have taken out for repairs or improvements.

To qualify for Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) you must be out of work or of pension age. You also usually need to be claiming one of the following:

You might still be able to get SMI if you apply for one of the qualifying benefits but can’t get it because your income is too high. You’ll then be treated as getting the benefit you applied for.

To check if you’re eligible for SMI, or ask any questions about claiming it, contact: