Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner


See the latest information and advice in Exeter. We are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS, who are well prepared to deal with this virus.

Controlled detonation on Glenthorne Road

If you have been directly affected by the incident and are in need of accommodation or support then please call our helpline on 01392 265000. The line will be open from 9am to 5pm.

Further information and answers to frequently asked questions are available online.

Tenants advice and information

Show all parts of this guide

4. Complaints service

If you have a complaint about the service you have received you should firstly complain through our complaints procedure.

If your complaint remains unresolved at the end of our complaints process you have two options available to you:

  • approach a designated person with your complaint to try and resolve this at a local level
  • wait 8 weeks and take your complaint directly to the Housing Ombudsman

Who are designated persons?

Designated persons are:

  • MPs (any member of parliament)
  • Exeter City Council Councillors
  • Tenant panels set up to deal with complaints

What is the role of the designated person?

During the 8 weeks after our complaints process has been completed, a designated person can help resolve the complaint in one of three ways:

  1. They can mediate to help us and yourself find a solution
  2. They can seek to suggest a resolution
  3. They can refer the complaint straight to the Housing Ombudsman.

If they refuse to do any of the above, you can contact the Housing Ombudsman straight away with your case.

The designated person can work with you and the landlord to try and put things right in which ever way they think may work best. If the problem remains unresolved, either you or the designated person can refer the complaint to the Housing Ombudsman before the eight weeks have expired.

You must give the designated person your written permission to look at your complaint, request your personal information from us and refer the complaint to the Housing Ombudsman on your behalf.

Do I have to use designated persons?

No. You can go directly to the Housing Ombudsman if you don't want your complaint to be looked at by a designated person. However, if you do not use a designated person you must wait 8 weeks from the end of our complaints process before approaching the Housing Ombudsman. You will need to advise the Housing Ombudsman of your reasons for not using a designated person.

What will the Housing Ombudsman deal with?

The Housing Ombudsman will deal with complaints about the management of our social homes and the management of properties let though the private sector leasing scheme.

If the complaint has not gone through a designated person first, it is possible the Housing Ombudsman may ask for this to happen before they will investigate your complaint.

For further information please see Where can I go now? (Housing Ombudsman Scheme) leaflet.

Housing Ombudsman self-assessment

The Housing Ombudsman ask that housing providers publish a self-assessment of their complaints service. You can download our current self-assessment document.