Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Tenants advice and information

Show all parts of this guide

7. Disabled adaptations

Alterations to your home may help you, and anyone caring for you, to manage daily activities more easily.


You will be considered for a disabled adaptation if:

  • you are our tenant and
  • you have a physical disability which has a serious and long-term effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities

Minor adaptations

We class minor adaptations as:

  • handrails by outside doors, in bathrooms and landings
  • additional stair rails
  • outside handrails by steps
  • half steps at front or back door
  • window winders
  • lever taps
  • level internal thresholds
  • moving door intercoms
  • changing kitchen cupboard door/drawer handles
  • door, frame and wall protectors for wheelchair users
  • raising electric sockets to waist height
  • additional sockets to prevent trailing cables
  • outside lighting near entrance doors for tenants who are partially sighted
  • highlighted step edges on outside steps
  • wider paths

If you need any of these works to improve your safety and independence you can contact our repairs team on 01392 265381.  We will arrange to visit the property if required and then issue the work for one of our contractors.

Larger adaptations

Larger and more costly adaptations require the advice of an occupational therapist and involvement of one of our Technical Officers. Examples of larger adaptations include:

  • a stair lift
  • an adapted kitchen
  • a walk-in shower
  • ramped access to your home
  • widening of doorways

If you think you may need any of these larger adaptations you will need to contact Care Direct on 0345 155 1007.  They will arrange for an occupational therapist to visit you to look at your personal circumstances and find out what you need to help you to live as safely and independently as possible in your home. 


Sometimes it makes more sense for you to move to a different, more suitable property or one that is already adapted.  If this is the case we will talk to you and/or your family, friends, carers and occupational therapist about a possible move.

If you are willing to move to a house which is more suitable for your disability needs (rather than have the work carried out on your current home which is often very expensive and sometimes impossible to do) you may be entitled to:

  • £500 disturbance allowance (for carpets, curtains and so on)
  • removal costs, subject to a £500 limit