Report a council housing fault or repair

Show all parts of this guide

3. Will I have to pay for a repair?

You will have to pay for repairs to your property if the damage has been caused by abuse or neglect or if you refuse to contact the police to obtain a crime number.

This may include:

  • broken windows
  • new locks (following the┬áloss of keys)
  • blocked drain (if caused by you)
  • damage to property found after moving out
  • removal of rubbish

You will not have to pay for repairs due to wear and tear or where a crime number has been reported.

Tips on how you can avoid being recharged

  • report repairs as soon as possible
  • keep your property in a good state of repair
  • know your responsibilities
  • seek written permission from your housing officer before making any alterations
  • clean and clear your property before moving out