Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Licensing Act 2003

Show all parts of this guide

1. Overview

You'll need a licence to carry out any of these activities:

  • the retail sale of alcohol
  • supplying alcohol to club members and their guests
  • providing regulated entertainment
  • providing late night refreshment

Regulated entertainment

Regulated entertainment includes the following activities:

  • performance of a play
  • exhibition of a film
  • indoor sporting event
  • boxing or wrestling
  • performance of dance
  • performance of live music
  • playing of recorded music

If they take place:

  • in the presence of a public audience for their entertainment
  • exclusively to members of a qualifying club or
  • in private and a charge is made with a view to profit

There are times when you may not need a licence to provide certain types of regulated entertainment and please do contact us if you need advice about this.

Late night refreshment

This is the supply of hot food or hot drink to the public from any premises (for consumption on or off the premises) between the hours of 11pm and 5am.

This can include mobile units, takeaways, restaurants and places like garages or service stations selling hot food.

There are exemptions so please contact us online if you are not sure if you need a licence.