Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Licensing Act 2003

Show all parts of this guide

2. What licence will I need?

The licence you will need depends on the type of business or event you want to run:

Temporary event notice

A temporary event notice can be used to authorise licensable activities at an event that's for 499 people or less and lasts for no longer than 7 consecutive days.

Please be aware that there are limits to the number of temporary event notices that can be applied for by one person and for a single premises in any year.  

Please contact us if you're not sure if your event can be carried out on a temporary event notice.

Please go to our pages on temporary event notices for more information and to apply.

Premises licence

To carry out any of the licensable activities on a permanent basis you'll need to apply for a premises licence (unless you're a qualifying club).

For example, you'll need a premises licence to run a pub, hotel, restaurant or late night takeaway.

If you want to hold a premises licence that authorises the sale of alcohol at the premises then you'll need to name a designated premises supervisor (DPS).  This person must hold a personal licence and will be responsible for authorising the alcohol sales.

Community premises may apply to remove the requirement to have a DPS. Please telephone us on 01392 265702 or email to discuss this.

Club premises certificate

If you want to carry out licensable activities at a club premises you'll need to apply for either a premises licence or a club premises certificate.

Only qualifying clubs can apply for a club premises certificate and this can only be used to provide licensable activities for club members and their guests.  

Club premises don't have to have a designated premises supervisor.

Please go to our pages on club premises certificates for more information and to apply.