Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

See our privacy notices for details on how we manage personal information

Gambling Act 2005

Show all parts of this guide

4. Apply for a temporary use notice

Occasional use notice (OUN)

You’ll need an occasional use notice (OUN) if you want to allow betting on a track for up to eight days a calendar year without a premises licence.

Temporary use notice (TUN)

You’ll need a temporary use notice (TUN) if you want to use a premises, temporarily, to provide facilities for gambling that are not licensed under a premises licence.

You can only use a temporary use notice to provide facilities for any form of equal chance gaming where the game is intended to produce a single winner, for example, poker tournaments.

Equal chance gaming is where:

  • the participants are not involved in playing or staking against a bank, and
  • the chances are equally favourable to all participants

Please note:

  • your application for a TUN must be received a minimum of 3 months prior to the day before the event.
  • you must submit 2 copies of the notice (see below) to the Licensing Authority with the relevant fee.
  • you must submit a copy to the Gambling Commission.
  • you must submit a copy to the Chief Officer of Police (Police Licensing at Heavitree Road Police Station).
  • you must submit a copy to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.
  • you must submit these within 7 days of the application being received by the Licensing Authority.


You'll be charged a fee for this application. Please contact us online for further information.

Related documents