Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

See our privacy notices for details on how we manage personal information

Sex establishments

Show all parts of this guide

2. Apply to operate a sex establishment

You can apply for a sex establishment licence online here.


You'll be charged a fee for this application. Please make sure you view our fees and charges to see how much this will cost.

Related documents

All applicants are required to produce (and display) a notice to accompany their application. To help you with this we have produced a sex establishment advert template for you to download and use.

Licenced sex establishments in Exeter are subject to our sex establishment standard conditions.

Start the journey


More info about the journey

You'll need a credit or debit card.

You'll need a 1:100 plan of the premises.

You'll need to give:

  • your details
  • if you are applying as a business - details of any directors, partners, owners
  • details of all managers
  • details of the premises and the type of establishment it is
  • your opening hours
  • whether you or anyone involved with the application has been convicted of any crime or offence
  • a detailed plan of the premises.  This will need to be a scale plan of 1:100.


When we receive your application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone you if there is anything else we need.

As soon as we have the complete application and all the information we need, we'll accept it and there will then be 28 days (from the day after we accept the application) when anyone can make a representation.  

You'll need to put up public notices at the premises and advertise a copy of the notice in a local newspaper.

If no representations are received your application will be granted and we'll send you your licence in the post.  

If representations are received then a hearing must be heard before members of the licensing sub-committee unless all parties agree this isn't necessary.

After the hearing we'll write to you with the decision.  


You can fill in a paper version of the form and send it to us in the post or bring it into our office.

You will need to fill in the application form and send this to us with:

  • a cheque for the fee
  • a 1:100 plan of the premises  

When this content has been updated

Last updated 24 May 2018