Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Bank holiday bin collections

Bin collections for the Jubilee bank holiday are different to those previously published. Please see our Jubilee weekend collection page to familiarise yourself with the revised catch up dates.

Community infrastructure levy (CIL)

Show all parts of this guide

5. CIL reliefs and exemptions

Relief or exemption from CIL is available in a number of specific instances. You still need to submit the additional CIL information form with your planning application, or notice of chargeable development form for permitted development. You also need to submit an assumption of liability form, and claim the relevant relief or exemption. You must also submit a commencement notice before starting the development.

  • Self build exemption. An exemption is applicable to homes, extensions or annexes built or commissioned by individuals for their own use. Community group self build projects also qualify for the exemption where they meet the required criteria. If you wish to apply for the self build exemption, please use the self build exemption form SB1, parts 1 and 2 or form SB2.
  • Social housing relief. The regulations provide 100% relief from the levy on those parts of a chargeable development which are intended to be used as social housing.
  • Charitable relief. A charity landowner will benefit from full relief from their portion of the liability where the chargeable development will be used wholly or mainly for charitable purposes. A charging authority can also choose to offer discretionary relief to a charity landowner. This applies where the greater part of the chargeable development will be held as an investment, from which the profits are applied for charitable purposes. The charging authority must publish its policy for giving relief in such circumstances
  • Exceptional circumstances relief. This is only available where a charging authority has made it available in their area, and is not available in Exeter

If you wish to apply for social housing relief or charitable relief, you should use form 2 - claiming exemption or relief that can be downloaded from Planning Portal.