Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

See our privacy notices for details on how we manage personal information

Apply for planning permission

Please note: In response to the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government has advised that planning applications should be made online to avoid the need for staff to work in the office. This should continue to enable the remote processing of planning applications to continue as far as possible to support the latest social distancing guidelines. If you are unable to make your planning application online please email for further advice.

The best way to apply for planning permission is online through the government’s Planning Portal. Registration is easy and you can fill in the form, attach your documents and pay the appropriate fee using this service.

Before you apply, have you:

There is more information and help about how to apply on the Planning Portal.

If you have any questions, contact us for advice before you start work.

Start the journey


More info about the journey

  • your contact details
  • the address of the property/site the application is for
  • details of the proposal, including measurements
  • accurate drawings and plans that show what you want to do
  • any photographs you have of the proposal site in an electronic format
  • a credit or debit card

Location plan

A location plan must show your site area in context:

  • base your plan on an Ordnance Survey map at scale 1:1250 or 1:2500
  • show at least two named roads and all the surrounding land and buildings
  • put house numbers on all the properties and mark the edge of the relevant property (including the garden) with a red line
  • draw a blue line around any other nearby land you own

Site plan

This is a more detailed scale plan showing the relationship of the site to the site boundary and buildings on neighbouring land.

You may also need: 

  • a floor plan
  • an elevation plan
  • a street-scene drawing
  • supporting information or reports (depending on the size of your project)

You can find out more about what you need and buy plans from accredited suppliers through the Planning Portal.

Other consents

Even if you do not need planning permission for works to your property, you may need other consents or approvals for things such as:

  • work on a listed building
  • work within a conservation area
  • work on a protected tree or trees in a conservation area
  • outdoor signs or advertisements

This is not a full list. It is your responsibility to find out what approval you may need to obtain before you can carry out work to your house. If you are unsure about what you may need, contact us for advice


We have a set of checklists to help you see what you need to have your application validated:

When we receive your application we will send you a letter with your application number. If you have sent us all of the information we need, your application will be made valid.

We will look at your application to see how it affects the local area, the environment, and other people, and decide if you can go ahead.

We will usually tell you our decision within 8 weeks. For large or complex applications we will tell you within 13 weeks.

If you have not sent all the information we need your application will be invalid, and we will contact you to tell you what extra information we need.

If this information is not received by the date we ask for it, your application will be returned to you in the post and a 25% administration cost will be taken from your planning fee refund. This applies to all planning application types.

You can track the progress of your application online. 

Downloadable forms

If you do not want to apply online, you can download and print a paper form from the Planning Portal to fill in and post to us. 

You will need to send in one copy of each document and pay the correct fee. If it is a major application you will need to send 2 copies of each document.

When this content has been updated

Last updated 18 February 2022