2. Do I need qualifications?
You do not need any formal educational qualifications to become a councillor.
There are however certain legal requirements you must meet to be able to stand for election. On the day of nomination you must be:
- Aged 18 or over
- A UK, Republic of Ireland, European Community or Commonwealth citizen
- Be registered to vote in, or have either worked or lived in the area for one year
You cannot stand if:
- You work for Exeter City Council
- You hold a politically restricted post for another local authority
- You are bankrupt
- You have served a prison sentence (including suspended sentences) of 3 months or more within 5 years prior to the election
- You have been disqualified under any legislation relating to corrupt or illegal practices