Citizen Advice Exeter were appointed by the Council in October 2019 to provide a city wide Independent Information Advice and Advocacy Service.
The purpose of the service is to:
- Ensure free, independent, confidential and impartial advice, information and advocacy is available to help people resolve the problems they face.
- Help address the widening inequality gap for Exeter communities in terms of health, income, employment and access to services.
- Work alongside the Council’s Housing Needs Team to support customers who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and are experiencing financial and budgeting difficulties
Advice is available at the Citizens Advice website
Citizens Advice Devon have a a series of free Powerpoint presentations with voiceover, together with more detailed factsheets, on benefits and other financial support available to different groups of people
Details of more local services are available from Citizens Advice Exeter
Citizens Advice Exeter Advice Trends April 2019 – March 2020
- We helped 11,324 clients directly with their advice and information needs.
Overall, we have seen a 27.6% increase in welfare benefit enquiries. The main changes being:
- 27.6% increase about attendance allowance
- 22.8% increase about council tax benefit/local support
- 14.8% increase about DLA/Personal Independence Allowance
We also dealt with 4,164 new enquires about Universal Credit.
Overall, we have seen a 6% increase in debt enquiries. The main changes being:
- 27.2% increase about private rent arrears
- 22.8% increase about fuel debt
- 16.3% increase about local authority rent arrears
Overall, we have seen a 4.7% decrease in employment enquiries. The main changes being:
- 28.9% decrease about self-employment
- 9.7% decrease about pay and entitlements
- 1% decrease about dispute resolution
Overall, we have seen a 13.7% increase in housing enquiries. The main changes being:
- 57.5% increase about threatened homelessness
- 19.7% increase about owner occupier property
- 14.3% increase about actual homelessness
Reports for each City Ward
Citizens Advice Exeter have produced Information Advice and Advocacy Service reports for each Ward in the city for key statistics from April 2019 to March 2020.