Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

If you disagree with our benefit decision

Show all parts of this guide

2. If you disagree with our council tax support decision

If you disagree with our Council Tax Support decision, you can:

  • ask us to send you a letter explaining our decision (you must do this in writing)

  • ask us to look at our decision again (you must do this in writing)

  • ask for an independent valuation tribunal to look at the decision

We want to make sure you fully understand the reasons for our decision. Following the steps below makes sure we have the opportunity to discuss our decision with you.

What should I do if I want more information about my decision?

Just contact us and ask. If you want a written explanation, we will send you one. You must request this in writing.

What should I do if I want you to look at my decision again?

You must ask for this in writing. You should tell us what you think is wrong and why you think it is wrong.

What will we do?

We will look at your decision again. We will let you know whether we have changed our decision or not. If you still disagree with our decision you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal; you must do this within two months of receiving our reply.

What should I do if I want the decision to be looked at by an independent valuation tribunal?

You can only appeal to the Valuation Tribunal after you have contacted us. If we do not respond to your request within two months, or you still believe our decision is wrong, you can appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal.