Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

See our privacy notices for details on how we manage personal information

Make an online benefit claim

If you are already receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support from us and you are moving home within the Exeter area, you just need to report a change in address. Please note that some addresses in Pinhoe fall into East Devon District Council.

Eligibility to Claim

This form will ask about you and any people who live with you, including questions on income, capital and other benefits currently received. The answers provided will be used to decide your claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support.

Universal Credit. 

If you are working age and claiming for help towards your rent then you will probably not be entitled to housing benefit. You will need to claim help with your housing costs from the Department of Work and Pensions within your universal credit.

Housing Benefit.

Housing Benefit can help with your rent if you live in temporary, emergency or supported housing. It can also help if you (and your partner if you have one) are of State Pension AgeHow much you get depends on your household income, circumstances and housing status.

Council Tax Support. 

You can apply for a reduction in your Council Tax bill if you’re on a low income or claiming benefits. You can apply whether you own your home or rent, and whether you are unemployed or working.

Second Adult Rebate is available for people who are of state pension age. You can apply for a reduction in your Council Tax bill if you do not have a partner, but you share your home with someone who is 18 or over, is on a low income, and does not pay you rent. You can apply for this regardless of the level of your income and/or capital.


Start the journey


More info about the journey

To complete this form you will need:

  • your National Insurance Number
  • details of all your household
  • details about your income and savings

You will not be able to save the form as you go, so please make sure you have everything you need.

Your application will be considered and you should hear from us within 3 weeks.

We may contact you for additional information to help us calculate your entitlement.

If you provide your email and telephone number on the application form this often speeds up your claim

When this content has been updated

Last updated 27 January 2021