Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

What to do when someone dies

The Tell Us Once service

The Tell Us Once  service allows bereaved residents to inform many government and local authority services about a death with just one communication.

The service was introduced to reduce the distress caused by repeatedly reporting the loss of a loved one.

Services notified through Tell Us Once include:

  • HM Revenues & Customers,  to update benefits, credits or personal tax records
  • HM Passport Office, to cancel a British passport
  • The DVLA, to cancel a driving licence and update the keeper of vehicle information
  • The local councils, to update records relating to housing benefit, council tax, adult social services and the electoral register
  • Veterans UK to cancel War Pension Scheme and Armed Forces Compensation Payment Scheme payments


This short information video explains how the service works


 To make an appointment to register a death please visit Devon Registration Service.

For more information about how the service works please visit What to do after someone dies: Tell Us Once

When this content has been updated

Last updated 20 June 2023