Exeter City Council (“the Council”) is the statutory harbour authority for the Port of Exeter and Exeter Ship Canal (“the Port”). On 12 September 2023, the Council submitted a Harbour Revision Order (“the HRO”) application to the Marine Management Organisation (“the MMO”) designed to consolidate and modernise the statutory powers and duties applying to the Council.
The Council recognises that benefit of local consultation with port stakeholders. Therefore, the Council is offering port stakeholders an advanced opportunity to consider the HRO application documents. This is with a view to resolving any queries prior to the 42-day formal consultation which is anticipated to take place later in 2024.
As such, please find the following draft documents available to download:
The Port Premises Plan can be seen in this map:
This informal consultation will run from 01 February to 14 March 2024. Port stakeholders are strongly encouraged to read the Statement in Support alongside the HRO before making representations. Answers to frequently asked questions are also available.
Any representations should be sent to HROconsultation@exeter.gov.uk by 14 March 2024.
- Representations should NOT be submitted to the MMO until the 42-day formal consultation period which is anticipated to take place later in 2024.
- Any representation submitted to HROconsultation@exeter.gov.uk between 01 February and 14 March 2024 will considered by the Council. However, representations must also be submitted to the MMO during the 42-day formal consultation which is anticipated to take place later in 2024 (if you feel they should be considered by the MMO or as part of the formal HRO process).
- The application documents have been made publicly available ahead of the formal 42-day public consultation. The versions currently available to download may be different from the version used in the formal consultation.
In addition, the Council has arranged 3 drop-in sessions where port stakeholders can discuss their comments in-person with the Council. These drop-in sessions will take place as follows:
- Monday 19 February, 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm at the Starcross Fishing & Cruising Club, Brunel Tower, The Strand, Starcross, Exeter EX6 8PR.
- Tuesday 20 February, 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm at the Exe Sailing Club, Tornado, Shelly Rd, Exmouth, EX8 1EG.
- Wednesday 21 February, 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm at the Exe Watersports Association, 62 Haven Rd, Exeter, EX2 8GP.
Each session is being held at a different location within the local area to provide port stakeholders with an equal opportunity to attend.
February 2024 Consultation Outcomes
Following the close of the consultation period on 14 March 2024, the Council will review and consolidate all of the consultation responses received and produce a summary document of the key themes raised and the Council’s response to them. It is anticipated that the response document will be publicly available approximately 8 weeks following the close of the consultation period.