9. Environmental permitting
We are responsible for regulating certain industrial activities covered by the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010 (The "EP Regulations"). These are processes which require a pollution prevention and control (PPC) permit.
The EP Regulations include four separate, but linked, systems of pollution control:
- integrated pollution prevention and control (IPPC), which covers installations known as A(1) installations, which are regulated by the Environment Agency
- local authority integrated pollution prevention and control (LA-IPPC) which covers installations known as A(2) installations, which are regulated by local councils
- local authority pollution prevention and control (LAPPC), which covers installations known as Part B installations, also regulated by local councils
- waste activities (previously covered by the Waste Management Regulations), which are generally regulated by the Environment Agency
All 4 systems require the operators of certain industrial and other installations to obtain a permit to operate. Regulators must set permit conditions based on the use of the best available techniques (BAT) to control pollution. For part A (1), A(2) and waste installations the permit conditions must cover pollution to air, land and water. The permit may also cover energy efficiency, site restoration, noise, odour, waste minimisation, accident prevention and heat and vibrations. Permit conditions for Part B installations will only cover emissions to air.
In Exeter there are currently 36 Part B installations and 2 part A(2) installations regulated by us. These include dry cleaners, petrol stations, waste oil burners, vehicle re-sprayers and concrete batching plants. There are 2 part A(1) installations regulated by the Environment Agency.
For further information on the EP Regulations, including application forms and details of the types of activities covered please contact the environmental protection unit on 01392 265147or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively you can apply and pay online:
- application for permit part A2
- application for permit part B
- application to change an environmental permit
- annual subsistence charge
A list of the fees and charges can be viewed here: