Tenants advice and information

Show all parts of this guide

1. Your tenancy agreement

The tenancy agreement is a document singed between the tenant and ourselves that sets out the terms and conditions under which the tenant occupies the property.

Lifetime secure tenancy agreement

This tenancy agreement is for both introductory and lifetime secure tenants and sets out a tenant's rights and responsibilities:

Lifetime tenancy agreement for council tenants 2013

Lifetime tenancies will only apply in certain circumstances after 1 October 2013.  This will include applicants moving into older persons' housing.

Flexible secure tenancy agreement

As from 1 October 2013, we have introduced flexible tenancies for most new tenants moving into our homes. Flexible tenancies help make sure you get the right type of home when you need it and assists us in making the best use of the limited social housing available in Exeter. 

In most cases you will receive a flexible tenancy for 5 years. In some cases we may give you a flexible tenancy for 2 years. Two year tenancies are used where a tenant has caused serious antisocial behaviour in the past (including criminal behaviour) or if there have been other breaches of tenancy.

Tenancies will not be offered for anything less than 2 years.

Flexible tenancy agreement 2013

If you have any questions about your tenancy agreement please contact the housing customer relations team. 

Tenancy agreement explained

There are some parts of the tenancy agreement which cause confusion. These are explained below.


This is a right for secure tenants to pass on their tenancy to their husband / wife / partner / civil partner or member of the family. This applies to anyone who signed their tenancy agreement before 1 April 2012. In the case of a family member, they must have been living with you for at least the past 12 months. Succession can only happen once.

Anyone who signed their tenancy after 1 April 2012 will only have the right for their husband / wife / partner or civil partner to succeed to the tenancy. Succession can only happen once.


An assignment of tenancy takes place where a tenant exchanges properties with another tenant or a sole tenancy becomes a joint tenancy or vice versa. 


You have the right to take in lodgers, but please inform the housing customer relations team when you do on 01392 265033.

A lodger is someone who lives in your home but does not have exclusive right to any one part of it. They will get some sort of service from you, such as cooking or cleaning.


You have the right to sublet, but your must get our written consent first.

Subletting means that someone pays you rent to have exclusive right to part of your home. They will usually do their own cooking and cleaning. You cannot sublet part of your home if it means you will be over-occupying the property.

You must not sublet the whole of the property. The property has been offered to you, for your use.