House to house collections
We provide licenses for house to house collections, which includes visits to public houses, factories and offices as well as houses, to collect money or goods on the basis that part of the proceeds will go to a charity.
Please note that permits for collections are restricted as follows:
- collections of money - up to two weeks in a calendar year
- collections of clothes, bric-a-brac etc - up to three months in a calendar year
- charities with a Home Office Exemption Order are not required to obtain a permit from the Licensing Authority. If this is the case with your charity, please notify us with details of your collections.
All collectors are required to wear badges issued by the City Council authorising them to collect on behalf of the said charity.
- with the exception of the Christmas period, street collections are permitted on Fridays and Saturdays only
- only one charity is allowed to collect on any one day
- only one street collection for each charity may be made in a calendar year
- applications for street collections will be accepted up to one year in advance and must be received at least 1 month prior to the collection.
On shopping days, from 1 December until Christmas, the following policy be agreed:
- street collection days will be Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and the five days preceding Christmas Day
- on each of these days, one street collection and one carol singing collection will be allowed
- late night shopping evenings will be considered separately, and on each evening, one street collection and one carol singing collection will be allowed
- each day time session will be regarded as being between the hours of 9am and 5pm, and each evening session will be regarded as being between the hours of 5pm and 9.30pm
- each charity will be allocated only one day or evening for their collection
- application forms for December collections will be sent out in June of the corresponding year, and considered on their return.