Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Voter ID - have you got yours?

To vote in the upcoming 4 May Local Elections you will need to show photo ID. To find out more about accepted forms of photo ID, and if you need to apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate, see our Voter ID page.

Benefits advice for landlords

Show all parts of this guide

5. If your tenant is in arrears with their rent

If your tenant is more than 8 weeks behind with their rent, we may be able to make Housing Benefit payments directly to you. In order for us to do this we will need your permission.

It is therefore important that you tell us about rent arrears if these are a concern.

We would especially like to hear from you if you are considering enforcement action (eg eviction or notice seeking possession) and you believe rent arrears are partly due to non-payment of Housing Benefit.

You must remember that it is the tenant who is liable to pay rent, not the council.

For more information about letting your property, visit GOV.UK's Landlord pages