Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

See our privacy notices for details on how we manage personal information

Benefits advice for landlords

Show all parts of this guide

4. What happens if you are overpaid

If we pay you too much Housing Benefit for any tenant, you may have to repay it.

We can recover an overpayment caused by the tenant. This can be done directly from their ongoing Housing Benefit entitlement. Therefore if the benefit is being paid directly to you on the tenant's behalf, the payments which you receive will be reduced.

Please remember that the overpayment is being recovered from the tenant's benefit and not from you. This is the case even though the payments to you are lower.

We can also recover the overpayment from the benefit you get for other tenants. 

Pay a Housing Benefit overpayment online (select sundry debtors)

If you have been sent an invoice and need further advice or help, please use our Contact Us form and select Benefits and Welfare to get in touch.