Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Become a councillor

Show all parts of this guide

3. Do I need to belong to a political party?

The majority of people who become councillors do so as a representative of a political party.  However, many people stand as independents and candidates on single issues. 

Please contact Democratic Services (Elections) on 01392 265141 or email if you would like to find out who the local agents are for the various political parties or how you become registered as a political party.

You can also visit the register of political parties via The Electoral Commission website.  The website also tells you how to go about registering your own party and provides a lot of other useful information on the electoral process.

If you are thinking of standing as an independent councillor, you can obtain a useful guide by contacting:

LGA Independent Group Office
Local Government Association (LGA)
LGA House
Smith Square

Telephone: (020) 7664 3224
Fax: (020) 7664 3323