Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Bank holiday bin collections

All bin collections following a bank holiday will take place 1 day late from 27 May to 1 June. See our Bank holiday bin collection page for further details.

Information for landlords

Show all parts of this guide

1. Standards in privately rented housing

Our Private Sector Housing Team has powers to deal with poor housing conditions

When we become aware of a hazard, we will first talk to the owner/landlord to try and get them to reduce the risk in a reasonable time.

Using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) to assess defects within private rented properties councils have a duty to take some enforcement action where Category 1 hazards exist. They also have a discretionary power to take enforcement action where there are Category 2 hazards.

Where improvements are not made within a reasonable time period, we may take formal action to deal with Category 1 hazards, but this may not be the case with Category 2 hazards as due to resourcing constraints we will only use our discretionary powers in exceptional circumstances.

Please visit the GOV.UK website for more information on the Housing, Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).

Further information regarding your rights and responsibilities as a landlord can be found in our landlords' handbook.