3. Gas maintenance and safety
As your landlord we have a responsibility under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations to make sure gas fittings and flues are maintained in good order and that our appliances are checked for safety once a year.
Every year our contractor will carry out a free gas safety inspection. You will be contacted in advance with an appointment. If this appointment is not convenient, you must reschedule a new time.
Annual gas servicing is a legal requirement and you must allow our contractor access to your home to carry out this inspection.
Every year about 20 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues which have not been properly installed or maintained. When gas does not burn properly, excess carbon monoxide is produced, which can be poisonous.
You are particularly at risk if you sleep in a room where an appliance (eg a conventional gas fire) is fitted.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can mimic many common ailments and may easily be confused with flu symptoms. They include tiredness, drowsiness, headache, nausea and pains in the chest or stomach.
What to do if you suspect a gas leak
If you suspect a gas leak you should:
- turn off gas supply at the meter
- open all doors and windows
- do not smoke
- extinguish any naked flames
- do not operate electrical light or power switches (on or off), use the door bell or use a mobile phone
- phone the emergency gas number on 0800 111 999 or call 01392 277888 and select the service you need.