Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Bank holiday bin collections

All bin collections following a bank holiday will take place 1 day late from 27 May to 1 June. See our Bank holiday bin collection page for further details.

Apply for a personal licence

Show all parts of this guide

1. Personal licence overview

The licence holder or a member of staff must hold a personal licence to sell alcohol from a licensed premises, so that every sale or supply of alcohol is authorised by a personal licence holder.

The one exemption to this rule is where we have, on application by the management committee of a community premises, dis-applied (removed) the need for those premises to have a designated premises supervisor (DPS). Community premises include a community, church or village hall.

Licensed premises include any premises allowed to sell alcohol under a premises licence. You don't need a personal licence to sell alcohol under a temporary event notice (TEN) but if you do hold a personal licence the number of TENs you can serve in a year will increase from 5 to 50.

Not every person who sells alcohol at licensed premises (for example, bar staff)  will need to hold a personal licence but every sale must be authorised by the designated premises supervisor (DPS).  The DPS must hold a personal licence and will be named on the premises licence.  The DPS will normally have day-to-day responsibility for running that premises and will be responsible for authorising the sale of alcohol.

A personal licence has no expiry date and can be transferred between regions and premises.