1. New driver application
Applications for new hackney carriage (dual driver) and private hire licences.
How to apply
Please complete the application form below and call us on 01392 265702 to arrange an appointment to discuss your application.
You will need to bring a £50 non-refundable deposit and your full driver's licence to your appointment. Please do not send any documents or money in the post.
Please note that your licence application will be valid for only 3 months from the date the licensing authority receives your deposit. If the application is not completed within 3 months your paperwork may be destroyed and you may be treated as a new applicant.
Application forms and guidance
- New driver application
- New drivers licence conditions
- Knowledge Test
- Medical Examination
- Disability Awareness Information
Requirements for a licence
- DVLA UK driving licence held for at least 12 months prior to application
- An Enhanced DBS Check, along with subscription to the DBS update service
- Knowledge test
- Taxi driving assessment (see Blue Lamp Trust, Red One or Diamond Advanced Driver Training)
- Medical (required again at the age of 45 and then every 5 years until the age of 65. If the applicant is over 65, an annual medical check will be required)
- Disability awareness test and safeguarding training (to be completed within 12 months of obtaining licence)
Important information regarding your medical test: Applicants may have the medical undertaken either at their own GP surgery, or via private medical provider D4Driver. If using D4Drivers then the applicant must provide the medical examiner with a copy of their medical summary, which is obtainable from their GP surgery upon request free of charge.
Important information regarding your DBS check: Our DBS checks are carried out by an external company, GBG Online Disclosures. You apply online, and then pay and take your documents to a Post Office. Please note all documents must be in your current name. At least one document must show your current address and at least one document must show your date of birth. Documentation such as bank statements or utility bills must not be more than 3 months old at the time of the check.
Fees and charges
- 1 year £110.00
- 3 year £260.00
- Additional knowledge test £45.00
Customer satisfaction survey
Please take the time to complete our customer satisfaction survey. Once completed please email to firstname.lastname@example.org