1. New Hackney Carriage vehicle application
Requirements for a new Hackney Carriage vehicle
Hackney Carriages must be either:
- a Euro 6 emission vehicle with wheelchair access from the side; or
- an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV) - either fully electric or a plug-in hybrid that produces no more than 75g/km of CO2.
All Hackney Carriage Vehicles must be wrapped in the city’s red and black scheme with the city crest applied and be fitted with in-cab CCTV.
All vehicles must be under 3 years old.
A hackney carriage licence for a ULEV/electric vehicle will only be considered once at least half of the Hackney Carriage fleet is wheelchair accessible. If you wish to apply for a ULEV/ electric vehicle your application will be placed on a waiting list and licences will be issued in the order they were received once the 50% threshold has been reached, and processed on a one ULEV, then one wheelchair accessible basis to maintain the 50/50 ratio.
Applicants for hackney carriage vehicles must have at least 12 months recent experience (within the previous 5 years before application) of operating as a driver of a taxi or private hire vehicle as his/her main occupation, and must hold a valid Exeter City Council Dual Drivers Licence (Taxi & PHV).
Application process for Hackney Carriage vehicles
Please send the following documents to the email@example.com inbox. We will aim to process your application within 2 weeks:
- Completed application form;
- An MOT certificate that is no older than 3 months from the date of your application (all advisories must be addressed prior to application and proof provided);
- A Motor Insurance certificate that covers your vehicle for the day your new licence will commence and covers the vehicle under the terms of a Hackney Carriage licence; and
- The Vehicle Registration Document in the registered keeper’s name and current address. If you have sent this off to the DVLA, we will accept the new keeper supplement of the vehicle registration document and ask you to bring in the full document when you receive it back from the DVLA.
Important information: Only a taxi driver licensed with Exeter City Council may drive the vehicle away after it has been licensed as a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make your application. Applications are not complete until all necessary documents have been submitted.
Once your application has been processed, we will call you to take payment for the Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence and arrange an appointment for you to collect your plate. One of our officers will inspect your vehicle when you collect your plate.
Please allow at least 2 weeks for your application to be processed before calling us on 01392 265702.
In order for us to process your application as quickly as possible, please make sure that:
- You submit your application and supporting documents in one clear email;
- Specify in your email whether you are applying for a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Vehicle Licence; and
- Ensure documents are clearly legible and ideally submitted in PDF format. If photographs are used please ensure they are the right way up and can be easily read.