2. Why we need a new Local Plan and what it will include
Each Council is required to have an up to date Local Plan to guide development so that it meets the needs of the community and the local area. Exeter’s current plans (the Core Strategy and Local Plan First Review) are becoming older and we and our neighbouring partners are no longer progressing the Greater Exeter Strategic Plan. As a result, the city needs a new Local Plan. The new Local Plan will eventually replace the existing plans and will cover the years between 2020 and 2040.
We are proposing that the new Local Plan will include:
- A vision and objectives
- A strategy setting out how the city will evolve and how development will take place
- A series of policies to guide decisions on planning applications
- Sites for housing, jobs and other types of development
- Proposals for environmental protection and enhancement
- Proposals for infrastructure projects
- A system for monitoring the effectiveness of the Local Plan
These elements will allow us, the community and other organisations to make the most of the opportunities in Exeter, tackle our key issues and help ensure a thriving city going forward.
Question 1: Do you have any comments on the content of the new Local Plan and its relationship with other plans?
This consultation has now closed.